So, I’ve not been to sleep in almost 24 hours and my bed beckons me for some epic shut eye. Some thoughts however before I visit the land of Nod. These thoughts are, in fact, on all-nighters which I have found to go through four distinct phases (question in point- yesterday evening/ this morning).
Phase 1- Manic Motivation
You have realised that your essay/ lab report/ exam is due in the following morning and that without it you may in fact fail your degree. This fills you with general panic and the desire to remain in university and thus leads to crazy typing/ writing/research.
Phase 2- Delirium
This is the point where the sheer stress of attempting to write 3000 words in less than 24 hours takes a toll on your sanity. This stage leads to ridiculous comments (is Africa a country?), the changing of your facebook status (FUUUUCCCCKKKKK), impulse buying (£20 for a keyring) or simply giving up on the idea all together.
Phase 3- Caffeine
This is where the energy from the last two stages runs out you begin fall asleep/ drool all over your computer/ notes/ presentation/ lab report. It calls for vast amounts of caffeine usually in the form of industrial strength coffee- or in my case, Diet Coke- a substance to which I am, sadly, addicted.
Phase 4- Fuck it.
Your feelings towards aforesaid piece of work closely resemble hatred/ general loathing and fantasise about sleeping/ripping up and burning your work. You give up on your work and submit it hastily, exactly one minute before the deadline. You then collapse, fully clothed, into bed.
It must be the general delirium from the lack of sleep that has led to this somewhat random post, I hope to not have bored you too much, I am for bed! Here is a facebook page with their own version of all nighter action:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Five-Stages-Of-an-All-nighter/110468565665164
No comments:
Post a Comment